NSLU2 usb connection speed

Hi group,

I'm a bit confused. I can't seem to find any good information, not on
the NSLU2-linux wiki and not using google, although I might be missing
something obvious...

The usb2 port should be capable of high-speed communications and my usb
disk is capable of 30+ Mb/s transfer rates when I attach it to my
laptop. However, on my NSLU2, hdparm -t /dev/sda gives me about 8 Mb/s
and dd if=/dev/zero of=test.out bs=1000000 count=120 or something like
that gives me 10 Mb/s read and write. Especially when I use dd I see
that the CPU usage is very high. A bit of 'wait', a bit of 'user', lots
of 'sys'. Why is that? What's the kernel doing? I know, it's only got
266 Mhz, but still...

Is there a way to make it go faster? Or at least please help me
understand why this cannot be...

Thanks!

David