Re: sources.list for NSLU2. fetchmail problem

On 3/28/07, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@wantstofly.org> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 02:41:12PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> The official installer from Debian doesn't support on-board Ethernet
> because it requires a non-free microcode.

It also comes under a non-redistributable license, so Debian couldn't
redistribute it even if the Free-ness requirement didn't also apply to
firmware.

While we're on the subject, I've managed to make the very latest
drivers from Intel (2.3 access library + 1.6 driver) work with a Debian
EABI system (little endian of course) with kernel 2.6.20-rc4.  It's a desperate
cobbled together effort of patches from OpenEmbedded (which has
the crucial LE patches), bits of the snapgear build system and other
stuff I found
floating about, since I couldn't compile anything older and no one
seems to have
put it altogether in a useful form.

This is on a Gateworks IXP system which is pretty similar to the NSLU2
internally.
If anyone wants to put it together sensibly, then get in touch.  Or better yet,
chide Intel over such a stupid setup (license + code assumptions), for
no good reason at all.

Incidentally, I mentioned a while ago that I needed MadWifi working on
this board.  It can be built entirely with OABI and works just fine on
the EABI system.