Re: Building cross armel toolchain

I'm confused by some of the terminology here.

As I read the dpkg-cross man page, dpkg-cross isn't building, that is, it isn't compiling anything. It simply takes packages which are "native" for some architecture and converts them into packages for "this" architecture which will install those files in locations suitable for use with cross compilers. Is this correct?

Assuming so, then are people actually cross compiling debian packages? And if so, is there a common or definitive way to do that within this context?

--rich