Re: OpenOffice.org on arm

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:31:30 +0100 Peter Naulls <peter@chocky.org> wrote:

> In message <[🔎] 20040626214122.1cfc81c1.harrymc@decisions-and-designs.com.au>
>           Harry <harrymc@decisions-and-designs.com.au> wrote:
>
> > OpenOffice.org webmaster has someone asking about OOo on arm. I'm guessing the
> > only likely build will come from debian but I've had someone today explain that
> > there are some architecture specific sections in OOo that makes each port more
> > than a recompile of the debianized OOo source.
> >
> > Can anyone advise if anyone is working on the package for arm ?
>
> I am currently working on it.  I have it fully built and mostly sensibly
> patched, but am working on what I hope will be the only coding required
> for it.  The Debian maintainer is aware of my work.

Thanks for the advice Peter.

> One of the big issues is that it takes ~3 days to build on my 600Mhz ARM
> machine.

I can understand that. That's no small source tree :-)

This is an uninformed question but are there resources available to allow
you to cross compile the package or is it preferable to build packages
natively ? I'm interested because I've lurked for a while here and read
discussion about access to more resources to build packages.

> To the best of my knowledge, the ARM pepole listed as porters on the OO
> site have not worked on it for quite some years.

Hmmm. That may be why the request came through to the webmaster.

Best wishes
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/