Stable (w/ 2.4.x) upgrade to Testing(w/ 2.6.x) ?

Peter Naulls wrote:

Alternatively, you should try apt-get dist-upgrade

This brings up a good question. I already have a portable(Prostar 8880 x86) running woody (stable) with several kernel options, the latest being 2.4.21.

If I want to upgrade to Sarge(testing)
and a 2.6.x kernel, do I upgrade the
kernel first, to a 2.6.x kernel and test
it as another kernel option under lilo,
with Woody first? Or do I upgrade the distro from stable to testing, first, and then work on a 2.6.x kernel upgrade/build?

Jim McCloskey has point out "For Debian, I suspect that the main issue is going to be with module loading. Kernels previous to 2.6 used (as you probably know) the modutils program to handle module-loading. But 2.6 series kernels require a new program called module-init-tools. So you'll need to upgrade enough at least to get that (it's packaged for Debian). I don't think that's in stable; so you have to either upgrade to testing, or else use a backported package for stable"

So if I use 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to upgrade the distro to testing, first, then would the dist-upgrade take care of the modutils versus module-init-tools issues?

This seems to be the simplest method to upgrade from stable to testing on a porttable. All I have to do is add these lines to my /etc/apt/sources.list file

<quote>

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib

deb http://debian.rutgers.edu/ testing main contrib deb-src http://debian.rutgers.edu/ testing main contrib

deb ftp://debian.rutgers.edu/pub/ testing main contrib deb-src ftp://debian.rutgers.edu/pub/ testing main contrib
<end/quote>

and then comment out the old lines, then issue 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.

Note, I lifted these /etc/apt/sources.list files from a Sarge installation using Debian-Installer. Maybe somebody has a better source for he dist-upgrade files?

 Ideas and comments are most welcome....

James