Re: please build XFree86 4.3.0 for experimental

Hello,

Is anyone building -0pre1v4?  If not I've got a build going and can
upload when it's done.  (Tried to install -0pre1v3 last night, but
xlibs-data is only -0pre1v4.)

Also, I noticed two problem along the way.  First, there seems to be a
circular dependency here.  xfree86 needs libxcursor-dev to build.  But
libxcursor1 depends on xlibs.  So one needs xlibs-dev 4.2.x installed in
order to build xcursor, though when xfree86 4.3.0 goes into unstable,
there will be no xlibs-dev 4.2.x.  Long-term, any release of xcursor
while xfree86 is building (and thus is uninstallable on some arches)
breaks stuff, so IMO this is a serious bug.

I broke the circular dep manually by forcing libxcursor1 to install
though xlibs was not configured (wouldn't configure without xlibs-data
at the same version).  But the only sane long-term workaround I can
think of is to remove the dependency between libxcursor1 and xlibs, and
just let applications depend on both shlib packages.

Second, xlibs-data asks manually if I want to accept new versions of
*all* of its config files the first time it's installed.  I'm not sure
about what can be done about this, since those files seem to be moving
from one package to another, but it's a bit annoying...

Apologies if these have already been discussed (or solved?) on debian-x;
please CC me on posts to that list (though I'm on debian-arm, so if you
reply to both lists I'm all set).

--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg