Re: xdm: crashes inside a select() on remote XDMCP connection

 Sorry if I'm saying something obvious, but...

 Being rather irritated by this bug, I thought I'd investigate it a bit
further on ysolde (my ARM machine).  Seems that xdm is reading
/dev/mem because of it's DisplayManager.randomFile setting:

#       DisplayManager.randomFile
#              A file to checksum to generate the seed  of  autho
#              rization  keys.  This should be a file that changes
#              frequently.  The default is /dev/mem.

 This appears to be assuming a semantic for /dev/mem that I believe is
not guarrenteed.

 Changing the value of this setting provides a successful workaround.

 J.