Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:17:19PM +0100, Wookey wrote:
> Yep I'm still here, and emdebian is not quite as dead as it web-pages make it
> look. There was a lot of work on emdebsys oct2001-Jan2002 to get it to quite
> a useful state. I am giving a talk on emdebsys at the UK Unix developer's
> conference in July to try and get a bit more interest and activity. There is
> one small commercial developer hoping to use emdebsys for one of their
> projects (which I think is _exactly_ what it needs to get it to a
> production-grade tool).
I can confirm what wookey says. At least emdebsys is in quite good
shape. We use it at university for a emdebeded system project and the
results are good.

There is a problem though. The frontend relies on CML2 [1] which was part
of kbuild 2.5 but was removed recently and is no longer developed. The
backend of emdebsys is quite generic and only need a kernel config style
file with e.g. OS_BASH=y key-value pairs.

So before emdebsys can reach production quality IMHO a new frontend has
to be written :-/ IMHO the CML2 frontend was always the weak point of
emdebsys (whereas the snp-backend was the real strengh), because you had
to do to much "by-hand" in order to include new config-options. I have
some ideas about a new frontend (which could use more debian tools like
python-apt, a Package-like description and so on), but other duties
keeps me from working on it :-/

> Wookey
Michael

[1] http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/cml2/
--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734
You Know You've Been Playing Too Much Nethack When...