Re: Debian on the Sharp Zaurus/SL-5xxx

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> The base system shall fit within the internal storage provided on the
> SL-5500 (16MB flash ROM + 64MB persistent RAM storage + main memory),
> however, I hope to work out a mechanism for gracefully expanding the system
> onto CF and/or SD cards[3], to allow for more installed software, while
> allowing those cards to be inserted and removed without losing basic system
> functionality.

Try to make it work with 32m of ram as well.

> - You own a Zaurus and could help to test the system, or

I also have one of these, altho it is a developer model with only 32m of ram.
I've been thinking of buying one of those fance expansions for it.

(One odd thing with the model I have, is that there is an audio recorder app,
but no microphone.)

However, I don't generally tinker with hardware(I'm a programmer).  However, I
am a dpkg developer, so any patches it (archtable, mostly) can be integrated
quickly.

> [3] currently, the SD kernel driver is closed-source, but Sharp claims to be
>     negotiating to release the source.  See [1].

SD is just secure.  You can still use the slot as an MMC device.  SD is
faster(about 4 times, as I recall), but if you just need storage, it's
currently the only way to go.