Re: porting Mozart to alpha, arm, hppa, mipsel, s390

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> If you're checking for the *right* features, it's possible to guarantee
> that your code will work on all platforms that are encompassed by your
> feature checks, because ideally you have a direct mapping between the
> feature you're checking for in your configure-time script and what your
> code actually does at run-time.  GNU autoconf provides a good framework
> for this, but using autoconf doesn't guarantee that you're using the
> right feature checks.

This is not an ideal world (and there are no right features).  That's
why we use autoconf, and that's also why we must occasionally also
make inferences that are based on platform-specific knowledge.

> Well, if the VM is fully virtual, it should be relatively easy to
> support all Linux architectures by generalizing your existing support --
> the only major variables are word size and endianness..

This is a rather simplistic view which any exposure to reality should
dispel quickly :-) besides, Linux is only a small part of the
audience.

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier			Denys.Duchier@ps.uni-sb.de
Forschungsbereich Programmiersysteme	(Programming Systems Lab)