Re: Bug #107311 (xdm: crashes on arm and ia64 architectures on remote XDMCP connection)

In message <[🔎] Marcel-1.50-0824104849-868h+Ty@chewy.aleph1.co.uk>
          Wookey <wookey@aleph1.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri 24 Aug, Philip Blundell wrote:

> > >have this bug then it might even be a good idea to reassign the bug to
> > >both, and make it release critical.
>
> > I don't think we have an up to date xdm in woody right now.
>
> > I certainly used to be able to run gdm successfully on my netwinder under
> > potato, though I haven't tried it recently.  Is this a new bug, or has it
> > always been there for you?
>
> I don't think xdm has ever worked on a Risc-PC (since at least 2.2r0 when I
> first started using this stuff). I forget what went wrong - it propably just
> hung or segfaulted. gdm did work however. I haven't checked recent status.

This is a long-standing bug.  I believe it's mentioned in my Debian
install guide.  xdm tries to access /dev/mem (IIRC), to get some random
values, and goes wrong.

Peter

 Peter Naulls - peter@chocky.org
 RISC OS Projects Initiative  -  http://www.chocky.org/initiative/