Re: portmap segfaulting, debian unbootable

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> I just upgraded sid yesterday, and tried to reboot this morning, but
> portmap is segfaulting, and the machine doesn't seem to timeout while
> trying to mount remote filesystems.
>
> The portmap package seems pretty old, but I think its March 18-19 build
> date was after the gmon_start stuff was fixed...
>
> Any ideas?  I'm afraid my only repair options are to boot into redhat or
> completely reinstall... :-(

You should be able to boot with init=/bin/sh (or a similar shell).  Unless
you are nfs booting, then it should be easier to fix.  Then downgrade to a
working version of portmap.

You can almost always avoid a reinstall, well sometimes it is faster
though :)

-Rms