Re: dhcp breakage

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Peter Naulls wrote:

> Perhaps someone knows about this:
>
> I just discovered today (after ntl cable being down for 2 days) that
> dhcp-client was no longer working - that is, it was
> apparently misunderstanding the response from the server.  The only clue
> I got was complaints about IP checksums and from tcpdump complaining
> ip_hl < 5 (IP header length presumably) when it was running.  I
> downgraded some likely packges that had changed in unstable in the last
> few days, but no luck. The same setup on i386 Linux works just fine.
>
> In the end, I gave up and used pump instead, and that worked fine.
>
> So either, a package changed which I missed, or something's different on
> ntl's network, which is causing problems in ARM Linux.

Which version of dhcp?  dhcp version 2.x is known to be buggy on arm wrt
to packing of fields.  3.x has worked pretty good for us.  I recently made
a back port of some arm changes for 2.x from 3.x for someone, although I
do not know if it solved his problem.

Although if it used to work and just stopped working, ignore what I just
said as it is most likely not relevant.

-Rms
[I have those patches for 2.x somewhere if you want to give them a try.]