Replacement to `dpkg --print-subarchitecture'

Okay, in light of all the comments, I've concocted what I hope is a
reasonable solution to the problem.  The example program is available
at <http://master.debian.org/~cmr/dpkg-arm-platform-0.00.tar.gz>.

I'd hugely appreciate it if both ARM developers gave it a quick glance
and generic developers check that this sort of thing is okay to go
into base-files or debianutils for potato (which isn't yet fixed up
fully on ARM -- shock horror).

For woody I think everyone would be happy to consider any weirdo scheme
anyone happens to dream up; this is a `for now' thing.

Thanks,

c.