Re: Linux on a RiscPC 600

David Given wrote:
> What's the current status of Debian Linux for the RiscPC range of computers?

Its rough to install.  There are people working on it, but it isn't
polished (usable?) yet.

> Would it be possible to use my Red Hat discs to format a partition, uncompress
> the base.tgz file from another ARM port on it, and bootstrap a system like
> that? I've used that technique with success on a PowerPC before when the
> installer wouldn't work.

I think so.  There are some steps performed by the bootstrap installer
that you will need to figure out and do manually if you go this way.
(I don't know what they are, but I know they are there.)

> And, finally, have I got the right mailing list?

Certainly.  If you don't mind guinea pigging you could look through the
debian-arm archives for I believe march and april for the RiscOS
installation messages and get the image loaders in hand.  I would then
feed you a stream of ever refined installation images until we got
one that worked.  (I don't have a RiscPC, but I can build the bootstrap
images.)

--
                                     Jim Studt, President
                                     The Federated Software Group, Inc.