Re: whoami: cannot find username for UID 1001

I'm so sorry, re-installing nis actually did the trick, now cd /var/yp;
make is fine.

What I didn't know was that when I tried to remotely reboot yesterday,
my /var partition was again corrupted (I think this is a kernel IDE
issue, seems to happen every time...), so it didn't come up cleanly,
which is why I thought I was in a heap of trouble.

So, problem solved.  Still doesn't explain why the Intel clients
continued to work though... :-)

Thanks for all the help!

-Adam P.