whoami: cannot find username for UID 1001

What's this about?  w seems to give good info, but whoami has trouble,
and only over NIS, and on ARM and Alpha but not Intel.  Also, when I try
to ssh anywhere from such machines (as UID 1001), it says "You don't
exist, go away!" even for ssh user@machine.  Started on Monday (at the
latest), and potato upgrades to date have not fixed it (well, haven't
upgraded potato on ARM since Tuesday because of the binutils problem).

Known bug?  Or should I file a bug report against shellutils, or nis, or
both?  Or might it be some obscure libc6 thing?  Seems at least
"important" in severity, and on some pretty important packages!

Zeen,

-Adam P.