Re: Upgrade to 1.3.31 changes document root

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 brian@sharealike.org wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I got the sites back up, but still have a question. Here's what I did.
>
> Copied /etc/apache/httpd.conf over every other httpd.conf file I could
> find, including ones in /usr/share/apache/default-configs/apache-ssl and
> /usr/share/apache/default-configs/apache-perl as well as
> /etc/apache-ssl/ and /etc/apache-perl/.

This is bad. files outside /etc aren't supposed to be modified also
because they are not preserved across upgrades.

> Then from /etc/init.d/ I did
> $ ./apache stop
> $ ./apache-ssl stop
> $ ./apache-perl stop
>
> and then
>
> $ ./apache start
>
> and everything came back. Any thoughts on what caused my earlier
> problem? I realize that I look like a newbie here. It's because I am.

No idea.. there were no changes in user configuration management for a
long while.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.