Upgrade to 1.3.31 changes document root

Hi,

I run Debian testing. I had Apache 1.3.29 installed and working fine,
using name-based virtual hosting to host several websites.

I upgraded to 1.3.31 this morning and it changed the default document
root back to /var/www because now ALL of my virtual hosts point to the
index.html file in /var/www. THIS IS BAD!

The strange thing is that /etc/apache/httpd.conf was not altered at all
during the upgrade process. The timestamp is still correct and all my
virtual hosts are still listed. What file did the upgrade change?

I also have apache-ssl and apache-perl installed, but haven't ever
tried to use them.

Please help me get these websites back online! Thanks.