newbie question

Yes hello,
this is the first time I have tried runnning a web server. It installed
properly (using tasksel) and I am able to view the home page (index page I
placed in /var/www) on the LAN. However if I create public_html
directories in users shells and place html in them, I am not able to view
them in a browser. ie:

website.org/~richard      gives back a message that the page is
unviewable.

now I have tried several things before this email so I will list them.
1) first the user dir. were forbidden, so I changed the permissions to
755,that cleared up the forbiddenness, but still the pages wont load.
I also changed the permissonson the file but that didn't help either

2) I realized in the error log the servername wasn't loading at boot(it
was defaulting to 127.0.0.1 - the local loopback address) so I
changed the to the static IP in httpd.conf. again it cleared up the error,
but it didn't help with the users public_html

Is this enough information for anyone to understand where the problem is?
If not, what else should I include?

 -richard