touchscreen issue

Hello,

I don't really know where to ask for it. So I start on this list.

The touchpad of my laptop works well, but I can't make the
"click on the touchpad works", meaning I must use the touchpad buttons
to click, double-click and so on.
If I select a file with the touchpad for example, and then tap on it
with my finger, (or double tap), the file doesn't open.
Hope I was clear in my explanation.

I use up-to-date Debian Squeeze amd 64 with packard bell easynote
 LJ61 laptop.
The touchpad is a synaptic. I tried to configure it with different
tools but without success at all.
For information this worked well on Debian ix86 version.

If you think this bug belongs to another list (ie Xorg list), please
let me know.

Regards