ACER aspire crash on boot with newer kernels

Hello,

I'm running Debian 5.0.5 on an ACER Aspire with Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor.

I used to run Fedora, but could not install that on this box (wouldn't boot)

I tried other tastes, and landed on Debian with kernel 2.6.18-amd64

Everything has been running beautiful, and I'm a convert - however:

Newer Kernels ALL crash after bringing up the second processor, just after a screen message saying:

[   0.232014] Brought up 2 CPUs
[   0.232014] Total of 2 processors activated (9988.73 BogoMIPS)
___system freezes___

Can someone please tell me which log a proper guru might need to see to be able to help me?

I didn't want to bog up this space with 500 lines of Kernel log ;-P

Thanks a million,
--

Hank J. van Leuvensteijn Jr.

-- lionstone@mail.com -- 403.550.HANK --

RR 1
Tees
Alberta
T0C2N0
Canada
--
Linux:
In a world without walls or fences,
who needs Windows or Gates?
Free yourself of Microsoft Sins.
See http://windows7sins.org/
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.
[Ashleigh Brilliant]