Re: rollback after software upgrade

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch> wrote:
>  Lennart,
>
>> And hope the upgrade did convert any data files to a new incompatible
>> format.
>
> (i think you wanted to write "didn't" here ?)
>
> Wouldn't it be funny to ask developers for a downgrade converter :)
>
> It's an interesting question if there will be any 'standard' configuration syntax some day (maybe XML based?) and if up- and downgrades can convert them rather easily then, both hither and forth...

Format's the distraction, that makes people imagine they know a
solution to the problem.

The *real* problem is when there are semantic changes that actually
involve different sets of data.

For instance, the new version of BIND might support DNSSEC, which
leads to a series of new kinds of DNS records.

Imagining that "oh, we're using XML, and that's a solution" is a
terrible mistake.