Re: status of skype amd64

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 12:09, Michael <codejodler@gmx.ch> wrote:
> I found this hint in the skype packages README:
>
> * On Debian amd64 version Skype crashes on startup with the message:
>    "Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-open.c: 623: _dl_open: Assertion
>    `_dl_debug_initialize (0, args.nsid)->r_state == RT_CONSISTENT' failed!"
>    This seems to be Debian only issue with 32 bit PulseAudio libraries being
>    installed even if PulseAudio is not active, a workaround can be:
>    - Debian Lenny:
>      sudo chmod a-r /usr/lib32/libpulse{-simple.so.0.0.1,.so.0.4.1}
>    - Debian Squeeze:
>      sudo chmod a-r /usr/lib32/libpulse{-simple.so.0.0.2,.so.0.8.0,common-0.9.15.so}
>
> But there are other apps which need libpulse, like avidemux or (i think) amarok, and i don't want to 'corrupt' the system.

To clarify something, this suggestion is about to change the access to
some 32-bits libraries so Skype is able to work (what I did was even
move them to another place for backup). So, unless you're talking
about the 32-bits version of programs using those libraries, you
should have no problem at all.

My best guest is that you must have the 64-bits version of amarok for
example that use the 64-bits version of those libraries that you don't
have to touch for Skype to work.

Hope this try of explanation is good since English is not my native language :-)

Ernesto