Re: Big problems with scientifc use of amd64

Francesco,

I have a few recommendations to accomplish what do you want...

A test "independent" system to probe your old software in squeeze
sooner or later you have to do that...
A virtual machine to use some software (MPICH2)...
A chroot same purpose...
On a test "independent" system do the mixed up of lenny and squeeze to
have the software do you want or need and test the combination (I have
this one) (lenny+squeeze+sid+experimental) obviously some combination
crash and possibly do you need some knowledge to repair it or start
again your test system with lenny and do another mix...

Do you choose Debian for stability or because you have the latest
version of the software?...

If you want another distribution because you have the latest version
of the software then you don't need really a strong stability...

One last important point...

If you really want stability then keep it that way: in stable world
you don't have NEW software until the next release...

Good luck

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Francesco Pietra
<chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> I am at amd64 lenny for scientific computation (i.e. no x-system) and
> i386 squeeze for the desktop with graphics.
>
> For lenny, yesterday I needed MPICH2 instead of openmpi already
> installed. No deb package for lenny, only for squeeze. I compiled
> MPICH2 for lenny.
>
> However, the parallelized package that requires support from MPICH2
> requests python2.6, which is unavailable in lenny. Installing that
> from squeeze, even with apt-pinning is too risky for me, and I find
> too difficult to compile python. There is no technical help in my
> institution.
>
> One can suggest: move to squeeze for scientific computation. Not a
> solution: the packages for chemical computation are not updated
> frequently, particularly non-commercial ones. Key packages for me do
> not run on squeeze, only on stable.
>
> When such problems arise, I am tempted to inquire if there is another
> distribution of linux that overcomes such problems. Is there one?
>
> Thanks
> francesco pietra
>

> --

Perhaps the depth of love can be calibrated by the number of different
selves that are actively involved in a given relationship.
					Carl Sagan (Contact)

Absolute certainty is a privilege of uneducated minds-and fanatics. It
is, for scientific folk, an unattainable ideal.
					Cassius J. Keyser

					Jaime Ochoa Malagón
					Arquitecto de Soluciones
					Cel: +52 (55) 1021 0774