Xserver stops at boot (and only at boot)

Hi all,

I am still looking for the weird behaviour, that on my amd64 system the
xserver is stopping during boot. I already reported this in bug #583613, where
you will find all deeper information I had.

I can not find any errors in the logs and it looks like X is terminating like
normal. One of the explanations can be, that the kdm or xserver startsrcipt in
/etc/rc.2/ is set on the wrong position. How does debian set the required
startnumbers, like S25xxxx, S26xxxx and similar? I suppose, these positions
are set during installation and are never changed or are they?
As my first setup of this system is very old (since sarge), I might have wrong
settings, although everything worked fine since some weeks ago (after an
update).

You should know, I changed to insserv and sysv-rc some time ago, but this was
a long time before this error happend.

And this behaviour appears only on this 64-bit-system, any other systems I am
using (which are all 32-bit) are working fine.

Maybe someone else got an idea? It is really strange, as the xserver is
only(!) stopping at boot (soon after the Nvidia-logo appeared).

Anyway, thank you for reading this, any idea is welcome.

Best regards

Hans