Re: Memory problems

On 06/02/2010 10:06 AM, Jonatan Soto wrote:
Hi list,

I'm facing a problem with lenny regarding to memory usage.

I have 4 VM lenny based on top of a VMWare ESXi. The system is running
for a few days and top command shows a very high amount of memory
consumption for each server. I have a little knowledge of how linux
(kernel 2.6) manages memory. A nice resource I found is this:
http://www.linuxhowtos.org/System/Linux%20Memory%20Management.htm

So, I understand that cached memory may be free if some application
requires it but I don't understand why lenny is consuming 2GB of
physical memory. It's worth to mention that all the systems are running
with only the standard package installed and few additional daemons for
each server.

I post what top command shows in order to provide better clues of what's
going on:

[snip]

Note that I've recently rebooted Server4 and it has lower memory
consumption rather than the others and it is running more daemons.
May be this issue is a misconfiguration of my servers or a memory leak?
Should I tweak something in order to improve memory management?

Any help would be much appreciated.

PD: Apache2 is installed using default configuration of the Apache2
official Debian release.

Kernel Sampage Merging (in 2.6.33) might help reduce memory consumption.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?