Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:51:46 +0000
From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: Don Montgomery <donm@methodbydesign.com>
Cc: debian-amd64@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: aptitude update crashes (fwd)

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 07:51:33AM -0600, Don Montgomery wrote:
I am running an older dual-opteron box with

# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.25-2-amd64 (Debian 2.6.25-7) (maks@debian.org) (gcc
version 4.1.3 20080623 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.2-23)) #1 SMP Mon Jul 14
11:05:23 UTC 2008

I have been getting a "2 not fully installed or removed" message from
apt-get for over a week now, with respect to udev and usbmount.  I tried

apt-get update -o Acquire::Pdiffs=false
apt-get upgrade

and got:

[snip]
Setting up udev (146-5) ...
error getting signalfd
Cannot start udevd. (rc=5)
dpkg: error processing udev (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 5
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of usbmount:
 usbmount depends on udev; however:
  Package udev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing usbmount (--configure):
Setting up gnome-themes (2.28.1-1) ...
Setting up libexif12 (0.6.18-1) ...
 udev
 usbmount

Any idea what is going on?  How to fix it?

No idea why udev is upset, although perhaps it doesn't like that ancient
kernel.  Even stable is using 2.6.26 after all, so most likely no one
cares if 2.6.25 works anymore, since no debian release has ever been
made with it and certainly never will.

Anything in /var/log in syslog or daemons that indicates why udevd
won't start?