Re: Who is starting this process?

On Sat 24 October 2009 01:11:01 pm Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> > > Yes, same lines I found, too, but they are commented out here, too.
> > >
> > > Strange things happen in debian-world... :))
> > >
> > > Greets
> > >

> > > Hans
> >
> > Hans,
> >
> > I'm running KDE3 and the number of virtual terminals seems be controlled
> > by and entry in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. In the first paragraph I have:
> >
> > [General]
> > ConfigVersion=2.3
> > ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
> > PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid
> > ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
> > ServerVTs=-7
> > StaticServers=:0
> >
> > HTH!
> >
> > cmr
>
> Hi CM,
>
> yes, I know this entry. The minus before the number is telling "use the
> next free vt the kernel shows".
>
> But it should be 7 not 9. Strangely suddenly this changed some day,
> although I did only an update. My 32-bit machine never showed this
> behaviour.
>
> It is not really disturbing me, but it is annoying me, that X is now on 9
> but 9, but it is annoying me, I do not understand, what had really
> happened. :)
>
> So I asked, if people know more than me.
>
> Cheers
>
> Hans

By any chance, did you install a package called "desktop-base" during your
last upgrade? I'm not certain that this is the correct package name, but I
recall installing a package that caused kdm to ignore the kdmrc file and
read, instead, a file installed in the /etc/default directory. After
installing it a couple of times I finally learned to avoid it.

HTH

cmr

--
Debian 'Etch' - Registered Linux User #241964
--------