SOLVED: NFS server fails after upgrade to lenny

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:03:44 -0400, hendrik wrote:

> I upgraded the server on my LAN to lenny a few months ago (after making
> a backup of the etch system (everything except user file systems)) in
> another partition.
>
> Now when I run lenny on the server, an NFS mount from a client machine
> fails with the message (hand-transcribed from screen; there may be
> typos)
>
> lovesong:~# mount /farhome
> mount.nfs: mount to NFS server '172.25.1.11' failed: RPC Error: Program
> not registered
> lovesong:~#
>

> But when I reboot the server to etch using the etch I saved in the
> backup partitions:
>
> lovesong:~# #mount /ferhome
> [514.141911] RPC: Registered udp transport module. [514.143371] RPC:
> Registered tcp transport module.
> lovesong:~#
>
> So the upgrade seems to have damaged something.  Where should I look?

It appears that the map_identity option is no longer valid, to such an
extend that when it appears on a line in the /etc/exports file, it
invalidates the entire file, not just the line it appears on.

Removing the option fixed the problem.

Is this something that should have been detected and reported or adjusted
by the upgrade process?

-- hendrik