Re: U3 and other firmware USB thumbdrives

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 02:22:46PM -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Last time I messed with this, there was only U3 - it appears that there are a bunch of different
> systems now.  There was a U3 removal tool at that time - what is the situation today? Is there a
> particular brand that just provides storage and non of this garbage?
>
> I need to find a 32GB USB drive that I can dd copy with - without having troubles with some embedded
> firmware..

The only usb key I have encountered with U3 on it was a sandisk.
Every other kind I have is just a plain simple USB key.  So I would say
most are simply USB keys.  If they have U3 or similar they tend to
advertise it as if it was an amazing and useful feature.