Re: VM Ware Player under Debian Lenny AMD64 on laptop

James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com> writes:

> When I tried install the kvm, the system tell me: "Your system does not
> have the CPU extensions required to use KVM. Not doing anything. failed!"

from the kvm package description:

<quote>
 KVM requires your system to support hardware virtualization, provided by AMD's
 SVM capability or Intel's VT. To find out if your processor has the necessary
 support, do as follows:
 .
 * Make sure you run Linux 2.6.16 or newer for AMD processors, or
 Linux 2.6.15 for Intel processors.  Older Linux versions do not report
 the virtualization capabilities.
 .
 * Run this command in a shell: egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo
 .
 If it prints anything, the processor provides hardware virtualization
 support and is suitable for use with KVM.
</quote>

But do check your BIOS setup if you think your CPU should support
hardware virtualization.  Most have some option to disable it, and it
may be disabled by default.

You'll probably have to check the Intel or AMD web sites to find out if
your CPU is supposed to have such support.

Bjørn