Re: I want all my 4GB!!!

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:44:18AM +0400, James Brown wrote:
> Yes, you are right.
> The technical support of the Acer corporation have informed me that it
> is impossible to get all my memory with Intel 945GM Chipset.
> I think they (the Acer company team) are frauds becouse I paid my money
> for 2 modules of 2GB RAM based on their information in the manual of my
> laptop. Instead doing it I could get 1 such module and install it with
> preinstalled module of 1GB for using not more 3 GB.

But then it would have run slower, and you would have gotten probably
100 to 200MB less memory.  Right now you get 3.2GB out of 4GB, using
dual channel.  The video is probably taking about 200MB of that leaving
3GB for you.  If you only had 3GB, you would only get single channel,
making the memory half the speed, and you would get 2.8GB for you and
200MB for video.

I know that going from one DIMM to two DIMMs on my wifes laptop with
the same chipset increased the video performance by over 50% because it
went to dual channel mode as far as I can tell.  It became much faster
than simply adding more ram could account for.

So while you may loose 800MB of your 4GB, you still get the performance
benefits of the dual matched DIMMs.