Re: I want all my 4GB!!!

James Brown <jbrownfirst@gmail.com> writes:

> Victor Padro wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM, James Brown<jbrownfirst@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop Acer TravelMate 3043WTMi under Lenny AMD64 with 4GD RAM.
>>> But the system "see" only 3GB:
>>> dmesg |grep Memory
>>> [    0.004000] Memory: 3081184k/3136000k available (2225k kernel code,
>>> 54428k reserved, 1080k data, 392k init)
>>> $ cat /proc/meminfo
>>> MemTotal:      3088108 kB
>>>

>>> How can I get all my 4GB memory?
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Did you realize that you might have memory shared for your video adapter?
>>

> Do you think that it maybe that the lost 1GB of my RAM use my videocard?
> And how did it work before upgrade my RAM, when I had 1GD at all?

Some memory is lost to the gfx board. Some is blocked to make room for
PCI devices. When you only have 1GB there where 3GB space left for PCI
so nothing had to be blocked.

Usualy the parts lost to PCI should be remapped to above 4GB. But not
every chipset can do that, esspecially those limited to 4GB. Or the
option is turned of in the bios.

My POV/ION330 board supports up to 8GB ram and I configured the gfx to
use only 32MB. Still I only see 3.5GB of my 4GB ram. I'm in the same
situation of wondering where my ram did go.

MfG
        Goswin