vesa mode

Hi all,

mybe someone can explain this: I am starting my debian system with the
parameter vga=791 (to switch into vesa mode)

Sometimes the computer (AMI-BIOS) does not do it correctly (stays in 640x480
then), but with a reset everything starts perfectly. What is the reason for
this behaviour?

On my amd64-system (Phoenix BIOS) this behaviour NEVER appeared.

Is the reason for this the setting "VGA initialisation" ? In my BIOS it is set
to "AGP" as I am using an AGP-Graphicscard. Or is it just a timing problem?

Would be nice, if someone could give me some background information.

Cheers

Hans