passwordless ssh

Other alternatives (that doesn't work as well over internet) - and only
if there is a limited number of programs that you need access to would be to
use snmp or inetd.

SNMP:
Set up a own oid to return the values you are asking for.

Inetd/Xinetd:
telnet to a specific port - will start a program on the master that returns
some output.

But if we are talking about a arbitrary program - and especially over the
internet
- ssh with exchanged keys are preferable.

If you find any of the above alternatives attractive - please let me know
and I can give you some examples.

Johan Elmerfjord
Manager, Unix Systems Administration EMEA
Omniture