Re: Where is the kernel?

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 03:20:46AM -0700, mark@allums.com wrote:
> Sorry, I tend to forget that it is a big deal to do that stuff.

It's not that bad really.  Well except when the kernel interface changes
and breaks things and you have to track down patches and such.

> It's just as well you haven't packaged the beta.  NVidia I think already
> has some later versions.  My guess is that they will get around to
> fixing it once and for all for both the newer kernels.

Randall did package 180.22, and I am using it at home with 2.6.27 (which
made my webcam work that 2.6.26 didn't work with).  SO far no problems.
It is in experimental or maybe it was in Randall's build area.  I
forget.

> Thanks for the reply; I know you guys are busy and I tend to be a pain
> in the anatomy.  (Sorry I am just now saying thank you, I have been out
> of pocket for a while.  On the upside, I now have a new GigaByte Core i7
> machine to try Debian on.  I may try a Lenny install on it, assuming I
> can get a Lenny AMD64 DVD in a timely fashion.  Wish me luck...)

I always use the business card installer, and have it download whatever
packages I ask for over the net.  Much more efficient than full DVD
images unless you don't have an internet connection at the machine.