Re: How to tell when a hardware RAID disk goes bad?

Dean Hamstead wrote:
is there a user space daemon that monitors the device?

No.

we use one for the hp (nee compaq) array controllers, called cpqarrayd

its decent enough, just runs in the background, sends SYSLOG and or snmp traps as configured.

from a quick apt-cache search i see there is a program called array-info which gives info about various arrays.

"Array-info is a command line tool to retrieve informations and logical drives status from several RAID controllers (currently HP Compaq IDA and CISS, and MD Software RAID)."

So I guess that means it doesn't apply to my Adaptec 5805...

is there anything in /proc that gives you the drive status?

Not that I can see.

something you can regex with a cron job and send alerts of some description if there is a failure?

Well, I'm guessing that I can do that with /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog or something. But I don't know what to look for, hence my original post.

Thanks!

Neil