Re: core i7

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 04:28:01PM +0600, Alexey Salmin wrote:
> Hello! I'm going to buy a new Core i7 + X58 desktop machine. Is there
> any expirience of installing debian on it? Googling didn't help me a
> lot.

I suspect there could be some problems given the X58 is a new chip,
which might require some kernel support.

Now on the other hand, the part of a chipset that usually needs most
support is the south bridge for SATA and such, and given that is the
same ICH10 chip as previous chipsets, then it might actually work OK
with the 2.6.26 kernel in Lenny.

I don't expect problems with the CPU.

So Lenny might just work, although perhaps not optimally for the new CPU
yet, but it would probably install.  Etch certainly would not work.

Of course other parts of the motherboard like ethernet controllers and
such may or may not work depending on what chips the board you pick
happens to use.