Re: usermin and webmin

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:15:10PM +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> a long time ago, there were the packages "usermin" and "webmin" in your
> repository. You took them away, as the code of these applications were very
> bad (spaghetti code) and so it ddid not fit the high qualtity Debian is
> standing for.
>
> Now are two years gone, and I have heard by lots of coders, that the code of
> those applications is significantly improved, the code shall now be very
> good, and the applications are both running very stable.

It is not, it has hardly changed at all.  The fundamentals are still a
mess by its very design.

Also the build rules for the webmin package in debian were a mess too
unfortunately (of course webmin didn't have its own install system to
help out either).

> As I am no coder, I cannot assess this by myself, so it would be nice, if you
> could take a look on it and maybe get it back into the repository again.
>
> Must I somehow apply for this somewhere else ????
>
> I would be very pleased, if it will be in the repository again, as IMO it is
> one of the best applications I know.
>
> Thenak you very much for your attention!

Webmin needs quite a bit of attension to manage as a package and most
likely the people that could do it have no interest in using webmin at
all, which makes for a problem.  Most people maintain packages for stuff
they care about.