Re: Disk /dev/md6 doesn't contain valid partition table

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 08:24:55AM +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 7:06 AM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:44:31AM +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>> "cat /proc/mdstat:
>> Personalities : [raid1]
>> md6 : active raid1 sda8[0] sdb8[1]
>>       102341952 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md5 : active raid1 sda7[0] sdb7[1]
>>       1951744 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md4 : active raid1 sda6[0] sdb6[1]
>>       2931712 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md3 : active raid1 sda5[0] sdb5[1]
>>       14651136 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md1 : active(auto-read-only) raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
>>       6835584 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
>>       2931712 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>
>> md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
>>       14651200 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>>

> This is off topic but, just a comment, it might be better instead of
> having lots of md's to have a big md raid1 and then sit lvm on top of it

I am no system maintainer. I set up a raid1 according to the
installation notes on Debian, I believe. At any event, this is the
present situation. I must confess that a raid1 becomes dirty on power
failure, although I expected that it works on one disk failure (as it
happened to me once).

Well, what about the following recipe that I found on internet? Could
that be applied in my case as described? Thenks, francesco:

1. shutdown all processes and databases using the array. lsof /dev/md0
is your friend.
2. Full backup, in addition to the usual nightly ones.
3. Stop the array mdadm -S /dev/md0
4. Added the drive back into the array. In this case,
mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdb1
5. Sit back and watch progress, watch -n 1 cat /proc/mdstat
6. Restart, dmesg says
raid1: device sdc1 operational as mirror 1
raid1: device sdb1 operational as mirror 0
raid1: raid set md0 active with 2 out of 2 mirrors
md: ... autorun DONE.