Re: amd64 kernel + 32-bit userland: compiling a new amd64 kernel

Hello Adam,

thanks a lot for your reply.

> If you're going for a pure 64-bit system, then you'll most probably also have
> to go to for a pure Free Software system, since a lot of proprietary, Caged
> software is 32-bit only.

I know and agree.

> This really is not as big a disadvantage as it sounds like; especially as
> there will soon be a full GPL Java interpreter and Gnash is coming on in
> leaps and bounds.

I agree, too. See my reply to Maciek. I think, it's only a matter of time. The
more systems > 4 GB RAM appear on the market, the more the need for 64-bit
software.

Regards.

Dieter