Intermittent WIFI after 2.6.24 kernel upgrade

Hello,
I am confused.  I recently did a routine update of Lenny.  The kernel image
was updated from 2.6.22 to 2.6.24.  I updated my ndiswrapper to recover my
wireless connection.  This has partially worked.  My wireless connection now
works intermittently.  It seems that the failure of the wireless connection
to connect is related to the delay between when the kernel begins the boot
process and when the network is initialized.  (i.e. The wireless connection
will always succeed after a fsck is performed.) Normally I would revert to
the previous kernel version except that 2.6.24 corrects the NVIDIA MAC
address bug.  Does anyone have a recommendation to delay the kernel from
attempting to initialize the network connection until the ndiswrapper module
is loaded?