unstable/testing/stable

Hi dear maintainers,

so now I am using Deban for many years, and I am very happy with it. But there
is one thing I could not understand for the whole time, and this is its
policy.

Can someone explain, why packages, which are available in testing, are not
available in sid any more ? As I read on the Debian site, all packages are
going through unstable, then are going to testing. If this is so, then, all
packages in testing should be (logically) in unstable, too. But often they
are not. (i.e. beryl completely disappeared out of unstable).

Another thing I would ask: If running unstable (sid), is it always recommended
to add the entries for stable and testing in /etc/sources.list, too ? I do
so, and had no problems yet, but is it recommended or necessary ? This will
increase the database.

I know, these are stupid questions, but I could not find exact answers in the
documentations.

Best regards

Hans