Re: Hey everyone, GUI isn't working; I can't figure out how to configure my xserver correctly.

Hi List !

Since we are talking about Nvidia, I have a (silly) issue:

I have a Nvidia GeForce 7300. On a Lenny box, it works "out of the box". On an Etch box, it installs with Vesa, and once you enable contrib & non-free in the sources.list, you can install either "nv" or "nvidia-glx".

I am on my amd64 Etch box. Everything is fine, I use the "nvidia-glx" drivers....

...But my mouse's pointer is flickering when apps are loading (!!!), for instance, when a web-page is charging, or any app (OOo, etc...) is loading...

-Would you guys know how to make the flickering pointer stop ?

Thanks a lot in advance !

2008/4/15, Alexandru Cardaniuc <cardaniuc@gmail.com>:
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> writes:

> Lance Ferrer wrote:
>> Im getting XIO: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X
>> server ":0.0" when I try to boot debian. I'm new to linux and
>> computers in general, so any help would be great. I have a BFG
>> NVidea 8800 GT if that helps. If you need any more specs or anything
>> just let me know.

> The newer NVIDIA cards still aren't supported particularly well by
> most Linux distros. I have a 7800 GT that won't work right with X
> anytime I install even a recent Linux distro in a box with that card
> installed.[1] (Haven't had the guts to try an 8000-series card.) I
> usually use a 6600 GT for installs, install the non-free[2] NVIDIA
> proprietary driver available on NVIDIA's web site, and then switch out
> cards.

Well, I got Nvidia 8600GT and it didn't work in etch. But lenny works,
and nv in lenny supports this card. So, I would assume, 8800 should work
in lenny as well. It isn't supported in etch.

--
"But what has been said once can always be repeated."
- Zeno of Elea