Re: Fw: Re: Problems installing amd64 with Supermicro motherboard

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 12:46:12AM -0700, Francesco Pietra wrote:

> Quickly added:
> I loaded Knoppix 5.3.1 (lenny, kernel 2.6.24.4) networking OK.

So the network works with the newer kernel, so it should work with a
direct lenny install.

> When loading etch from the HDDD, command
>
> startx
>
> does not start X (it worked on previous machine). Errors
> no scree found
> X10 fatal IO error 104 on X server.
>
> I use the GNU driver, no nvidia driver for X.

Ehm, doesn't that supermicro board have an ATI video chip?

Try reconfiguring X with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg and let it pick
what it thinks is right.

If you have an nvidia card added in, then I am pretty sure Etch can't
run any 8xxx cards, only 7xxx and lower.  You need lenny for 8xxx series
cards.