Re: nvidia way versus debian way of installing nvidia 3D graphics drivers in Lenny..

you want the debian way definitely. rogue files in /lib etc will only cause you headaches in the future.

Dean

Simon Vos wrote:
The wiki is not out of date at all. By the way, this way of installing
the nvidia drivers has been around for some years now. I use
module-assistant in sid and it has worked fine for me from the first
moment I used it. Before that I used make-kpkg, this worked too, but the
module-assistant takes away a lot of work.

Michael Fothergill wrote:
Dear Debianists,

I have installed Debian Lenny on my HP G6062 laptop.  Xserver works reasonably using the vesa driver.  I couldn't get it to work with the nv driver.

It seems to see the nvidia network controller as well.

There is an nvidia 7000M graphics chip in the laptop.  I assume that it could do some 3D graphics processing.

But if I would want to use this capability I would need to install the proprietary nvidia drivers manually.

I Googled this and found quite a few web pages on this.

It seems that Nvidia have their own installer and guide on their own web site for Linux users but Debian also has its own Debian Way of installing the nvidia drivers.

There also seems to be other individuals with web pages giving advice on this subject.

Left to my own devices I would likely choose this site to get instructions on how to proceed here:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

But this seems to be a fast moving subject and maybe this site is out of date now.

I would appreciate comments on which web sites provide the most up to date and appropriate way of doing it.

I will use those sites and ignore the other ones and install the drivers.

Regards

Michael Fothergill

Win 100’s of Virgin Experience days with BigSnapSearch.com
http://www.bigsnapsearch.com

--
http://fragfest.com.au