Watchdog

On a Supermicro quad socket board, the jumpers for "watchdog" (reboot the system when a software application hangs) is set to "activated". Activation on BIOS is also required.

As I am going to install Debian amd64 (either lenny or etch) for purely numeric calculations (no X system), I wonder whether it would be better to disable hardware watchdog. On dual socket systems I never managed to install Debain amd64 software watchdog. Is any advantage in activating either hardware or software watchdog for such use?

Thanks
francesco pietra