Re: kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

On 11 Apr, 2008, at 04:12, Karl Schmidt wrote:
Apr 10 10:54:02 poland kernel: APIC error on CPU0: 40(40)

I see this every once in a while - no problems with the server and others on the web see it only on amd64. Any kernel gurus know exactly what this means?

Receive Illegal Vector.

From what I understand it means your motherboard's apic is sending invalid io vectors to the cpu

Unfortunately it means a crappy motherboard more often than hardware failure. Possibly you could look for and install a bios upgrade (since the apic is set up by the bios). If it bothers you too much, you can run without the apic with kernel parameter noapic at the cost of some speed.

Ernest.