Re: Graphics cards with Free drivers

Hi,

AMD/ATI has recently started releasing information regarding their
Radeon graphics cards.

A new open-source project, called "RadeonHD", will take advantage of
this information, in order to develop a fully functional, fully
open,device driver for new ATI graphics cards, with excellent
integration with X.org and its extensions.

You can find more in the following links:

[1]: http://www.radeonhd.org/
[2]: http://lists.opensuse.org/radeonhd/
[3]: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd
[4]: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=RadeonHD

The current driver offers basic 2D functionality (no 3D HW
acceleration, video, etc.), but it is progressing fast.

A driver for Debian Sid(and other distros) is already available:
[5]: http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd

I'm using it with an ATI Radeon HD2900XT on my desktop, works great
(although I do miss 3D & Video, but I try to be patient and help the
developers).

Hope this helps,

Dimitris